Re: Which one: OCI or the Oracle Compiler?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Jan 2007 15:44:08 -0800

On Jan 28, 4:35 pm, "Ramon F Herrera" <r..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
> I have a lot invested in OCI programs, written under Linux and
> Solaris. Since I have seen some annoying bugs, I am considering
> switching to the Oracle Compiler. I realize that Oracle's writing on
> the wall is to switch to Java, and I am as fan of Java as anyone.
> Having said that Java will never be as fast as a compiled application,
> that's why I am limiting my choices to OCI and Oracle Compiler.
>
> I use Java for other things, not to interface with Oracle in an
> application that demands high performance.
>
> One of the bugs I have found are is big selects:
>
> SELECT A,B,C,...,Z FROM table
>
> My temporary solution is this:
>
> SELECT * FROM table
>
> My feeling is that Oracle is not investing too many resources to
> improving OCI.
>
> Should I expect more reliablility/fewer bugs if I move to the Oracle
> Compiler?
>
> -Ramon

By Oracle compiler I assume you mean the Pro* language pre-compilers: example Pro*c.

We use Pro*c and have not noticed any reduction in the support of new features or in getting tool related help from Oracle support. And Oracle did rellatively recently introduce OCCI to go along with OCI so I am not sure why you think Oracle wants everyone to write in Java.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun Jan 28 2007 - 17:44:08 CST