Re: cleaning up disks

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2007 07:28:22 -0800

On Jan 27, 8:24 am, "Helmut Schneider" <jumpe..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Silently my disks fill up with archive logs, flash back pieces, backup
> increments and so on.
> Could someone please point me to a good FAQ (tahiti.oracle.com isn't) how to
> cope with that files, which one can be deleted after what time? Can I create
> a cleanup job within oracle (e.g. with OEM)?
>
> Thanks, Helmut

The archive logs and backup pieces can (and should) be cleaned up with rman scripts. Part of setting retention policies, etc. One of the options on backing up archivelogs is to delete after backup. Old trace files and alert logs can just be deleted using OS commands. I have a script that simply renames the alert log:

mv alert<sid>.log.9 alert<sid>.log.10
mv alert<sid>.log.8 alert<sid>.log.9
mv alert<sid>.log.7 alert<sid>.log.8

-- etc.
mv alert<sid>.log alert<sid>.log.1

The next time oracle needs to write to the alert log, it will start a new one: Received on Sat Jan 27 2007 - 09:28:22 CST