Re: Installing 10gR2 in UNIX AIX While 8i Databases are Running

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 15:33:20 -0800

On Jan 26, 2:15 pm, bfoga..._at_gaports.com wrote:
> I have four 8i databases running on UNIX AIX 5.2. I want to install
> Oracle Server 10.2.0.1 while the databases continue to run as 8i. I do
> not want to shut them down during the install. About a week after the
> install I will upgrade the databases from 8i to 10g.
>
> The Oracle Database Installation Guide says on page 2-35 (items 7 and
> 8) to edit the oracle user's shell startup file (.profile in the Korn
> shell). I am to add "umask 022" and to comment out the settings for
> variables ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, and ORACLE_BASE. Doing this means
> the changes in .profile will apply to all new UNIX sessions for the
> "oracle" user. I do not want that to happen. I want those changes to
> apply only to the session of user "oracle" who is doing the 10g
> install.
>
> Is is safe for me to make these four changes at the command line of my
> UNIX session instead of in .profile? I would enter:
> umask 022
> unset ORACLE_SID
> unset ORACLE_HOME
> unset ORACLE_BASE
>
> If I am wrong in my thinking, is there another way to install 10g will
> allowing my databases to continue to run as 8i?
>
> Thank you,
> Bill

Doesn't the 8i install say to use the same umask?

Anyways, on most unix you can have multiple logins for the same numeric userid, with different environments. Look at your /etc/passwd, generally the third parameter is the userid.

I don't have an AIX to test this on (and I recall that AIX in general is
a bit idiosyncratic of a unix), but you may be able to do something with the GUI to create a user like this, or you could try duplicating a line in /etc/password and change the username and home directory, then as root change the new username's password, then make whatever changes you want to the environment in the new home directory. Try it on a test system first, of course. (The idea here is to be able to transition the 8 environments smoothly later. Some might think it would be cleaner just to have a new software owner and group for 10g.)

Or, you could just create a script to create the 10g environment, and dot
it anytime you want to change to that environment, including changing your unix shell prompt to tell you which environment you are in. Personally,
I do this for all the environments I normally work in. How you do it may
depend on how much you have to share the environment, everyone needs to agree. For me it usually means having scripts in /usr/local/bin to set
up for each db, and scripts for each user to set up other necessary variables
and call the more global scripts.

You should check your kernel settings to be sure they can handle all those
instances.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.