Installing 10gR2 in UNIX AIX While 8i Databases are Running

From: <bfogarty_at_gaports.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 14:15:43 -0800

I have four 8i databases running on UNIX AIX 5.2. I want to install Oracle Server 10.2.0.1 while the databases continue to run as 8i. I do not want to shut them down during the install. About a week after the install I will upgrade the databases from 8i to 10g.

The Oracle Database Installation Guide says on page 2-35 (items 7 and 8) to edit the oracle user's shell startup file (.profile in the Korn shell). I am to add "umask 022" and to comment out the settings for variables ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, and ORACLE_BASE. Doing this means the changes in .profile will apply to all new UNIX sessions for the "oracle" user. I do not want that to happen. I want those changes to apply only to the session of user "oracle" who is doing the 10g install.

Is is safe for me to make these four changes at the command line of my UNIX session instead of in .profile? I would enter: umask 022

unset ORACLE_SID
unset ORACLE_HOME
unset ORACLE_BASE

If I am wrong in my thinking, is there another way to install 10g will allowing my databases to continue to run as 8i?

Thank you,
Bill Received on Fri Jan 26 2007 - 16:15:43 CST