Re: Can't grant SYSOPER or SYSDBA in VMS 10gR2 Cluster

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 26 Jan 2007 10:12:02 -0800

On Jan 26, 1:08 pm, "Malcolm Dunnett" <noth..._at_spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> This is my first RAC setup, so forgive me if this is a stupid question:
>
> I have set up a two node RAC cluster with Oracle 10.2.0.2. Each node is an
> rx2600 (Itanium) system running VMS 8.3. Everything seems to be working fine
> so far except than I can't grant SYSDBA or SYSOPER privileges to any users,
> when I try I get an:
>
> ORA-29701: unable to connect to Cluster Manager
>
> all other command work fine, I can grant any other role or privilege. I
> presume it has something to do with these privs being stored in the password
> file and each node having a separate password file.
>
> From the documentation it appears the "cluster manager" it is talking about
> is the VMS clustering software itself, that is working properly.
>
> Anyone else seen this? Bug or configuration problem?

I think you are going to have to work with oracle support on this. My hpux 9.2 rac environment works just fine doing this using separate password files.

As a potential workaround though you might want to try shutting rac down and bringing up a single instance ( with cluster_database set to false ) ... and see if you can get these granted like that ( and into your password file ) ... ( then switch to the other side if necessary ).

Not a pretty workaround ... and if that doesn't work ... file a sev 1. Received on Fri Jan 26 2007 - 12:12:02 CST