Re: more 8.1: defrag the drive

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2007 11:08:04 -0800

On Jan 25, 12:27 am, "mmccaws2" <mmcc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> The drive where the 8.1 Oracle database files reside is about 70% full,
> about 5GB drive. The disk analysis shows that there is over 40k
> fragments on the drive. One of the tables is about 2Gb. Coworker has
> a good suggestion that may reduce down time, it sounds good. I'm
> looking for whether or not it's fraught with potential problems.
>
> let me know what you think
>
> 1st - shut down app and stop Oracle
> 2nd - copy two largest files(combined about 3Gb) to another drive.
> 3rd - (on Windows 2000 server) defrag drive using windows defrag
> 4th - copy two files back to drive
> and at last restart oracle and app
>
> So, there should not be any problems with the database.

Some interesting comments in this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/149d208870dde9c2/519cbea12c28558f?lnk=st&q=windows+NTFS+blocks+oracle+author%3Anoons&rnum=1&hl=en#519cbea12c28558f

I had a distinct memory that Windows defragging was not something one wanted to do after creating an Oracle datafile, as one of the the filesystem types would randomly scatter the sectors about in the worst possible manner, or something like that, but I can't seem to find any references so maybe I just imagined it.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Email intended to create a paper trail of plausible deniability...