Re: Seeking Equivalent of InterBase Domain

From: Martijn Tonies <m.tonies_at_upscene.removethis.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:38:15 +0100

Daniel,

> > First off... being new to this newsgroup, I find it refreshing to find
> > it so active with people smarter than myself :)
> >
> > Daniel, you have reiterated several times the statement "What is it you
> > can not do in Oracle". Further, you mention constraints can built on
> > data types, yet others state this as not being possible.
>
> I provided sample code and a link to the Oracle documentation. The
> demo clearly shows a check constraint being built. If you have an
> issue with the Oracle documentation state it clearly.

I've been looking through that. I can see the documentation listing several methods that accomplish things as comparing the type to another instance of the type. Very useful.

What I cannot find in the documentation, is that if you have a type with a single attribute (cause this is what you said could perhaps accomplish the same as an InterBase DOMAIN), AND always apply a check to values in columns based on that type.

If you can, then please show an example.

> > So, can you at least humor me, and submit such an animal.
>
> Which part of the samples and link are not animal?

See above.

--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server