Re: Windows vs Linux Performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:46:43 -0800

mccmx_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> All,
>
> Interesting article I found which compares performance between Windows
> and Linux on equivalent hardware.
>
> http://www.perftuning.com/pdf/Comparison_Oracle_Windows_Linux.pdf
>
> This topic has been discussed in depth here quite a lot with most
> people saying that Linux performs better than Windows.
>
> But the above article seems to suggest that Windows has the edge over
> Linux in terms of scalability.
>
> Matt

I've seen it before but I have never duplicated it either personally or seen a customer do so.

The biggest issue I have seen with RAC on Windows they didn't even test. The point of RAC is not how much water can I push through the pipe. The point of RAC is FAILOVER.

My experience with Windows and failover is that what happens with Linux, subsecond, can take up to 25 seconds with Windows which is not acceptable.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington