Re: temp extent size

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:28:56 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:

> viny wrote:

>> Thanks for your response !!
>>
>> for more clarity :
>> My DB version is 9.2.0.6
>> OS is HP Unix 11i
>>
>> I am facing ORA-1652 even if I have sufficient Temp datafile more than
>> 4GB . I think only reason here, i see is Next extent ize is not proper
>> , which is 1M by default, /and that may have caused the fragmentation
>> in the temp tablespace. Due to which it is not able to provide
>> contiguous blocks for the user process.
>>
>> But I am not sure, how much should we use for extent size in case of
>> Temporary content type Temp tablespace?
>>
>> regards,
>> vinay
>>

>> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> Could you please restate your question, adding your version number and
>>> operating system, and strive for greater clarity.
>>>
>>> The default is 1M for each and I wouldn't change that without some
>>> metrics giving a reason to make a different choice.
>>> --
>>> Daniel A. Morgan
>>> University of Washington
>>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>> (replace x with u to respond)
>>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>>> www.psoug.org
>
> Please don't top post. Scroll to the bottom to reply. Thank you.
>
> I highly doubt the issue is as you suspect. I can't with so little
> information suggest what it is but I wouldn't change parameters
> without knowing more. Seriously consider opening an SR if you can
> not post sufficient information here for someone to help you.

Lets start with the actual error message you receive: ORA-1652 is meaningless without the full error text and the full error stack.

Second lets see the SQL statement that produces the problem along with the metrics for the table, its talbespace, the undo tablespace, and the temp tablespace with respect to size and freespace.

Third an explain plan run with the following: SELECT * FROM TABLE(dbms_xplan.display('PLAN_TABLE','abc','ALL')); where 'abc' is the statement id of your SQL statement.