Re: Passwords in Roles

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2007 09:30:29 -0800

Michael42 wrote:
> >> What is it, exactly, that is causing the issue.
>
> I think you all gave me the solution. Thanks!
>
> The "issue" was I had to export a set of schema from an old database to
> a new one and the common methods to create the users and roles was not
> sufficient. It was a suprise to me that there were passwords in Roles.
> A lot of them! Furthermore, a full database export\import was not
> possible which would probably have worked too I imagine.
>
> Is it generaly seen as a best practice to place passwords in Roles or
> is it something that should be avoided when possible?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Michael42

As mentioned in my previous post the DBA can create the souce for a role with the current password without knowing the actual password. The same is true for the users. I have posted a script to generate the SQL to create users on the server forum on metalink in the past.

In the newsgroup archives I found a Tom Kyte post using execute immediate.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.misc/browse_frm/thread/c308416aad70a3eb/2cb363debd4d832c?lnk=st&q=%22identified+by+values%22+group%3Acomp.databases.oracle.*+author%3AMark+author%3AD+author%3APowell&rnum=2#2cb363debd4d832c

If the link does not work just search on "identified by values" and my name or Tom's.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Jan 20 2007 - 11:30:29 CST