Re: Understanding Rollback Segment Sizes

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:27:07 GMT

> As Brian indicated, the "set it and forget it" aspect of Undo
> tablespaces looks like the way to go. Now the only issue is convincing
> my management that we should do it that way instead of the way our five
> other Oracle sites are configured,

That should be pretty easy...just tell them that you save man hours by not having to manage the rollback segments any more.

 > and to see if our application
> developers can give me any info on whether our software ever explicitly
> tries to access a rollback segment, such as for month-end processing or
> cleanup utilities.

You can set the UNDO_SUPPRESS_ERRORS intialization parameter to TRUE. If someone explicitly does "SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT...", it will be ignored. The default for this parameter is FALSE, in which case, the SET TRANSACTION statement would result in an error.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net