Re: How to know what sequence a table is using?

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 18 Jan 2007 08:27:00 -0800

cyc73 wrote:
> One question that is not related to the subject. The sequence I am
> going to test has cache of 2000, and I notice the ID using this
> sequence will jump 2000 roughly each week. What I mean is we were
> using ID range in 728000 for last week, then this week sometimes the ID
> start with number 730000. Do you know what cause the number to jump?
> Thank you.
>
> Crystal

Yes. Each session caches or "reserves" 2000 sequences when required. This is to ensure that each session has a cache of unique seqence numbers, so there is no duplication. The next session will take the next 2000, and so on.

Some useful documentation about sequences can be found here:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/schema.htm#sthref883

One final thing, the etiquette in this newsgroup requires that you do not "top-post". Please place any replies _beneath_ the text that you are quoting. You will find it will be very much appreciated :-)

HTH -g Received on Thu Jan 18 2007 - 10:27:00 CST