Re: Understanding Rollback Segment Sizes

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:09:57 GMT

> I appreciate the input you provided. Unfortunately it didn't really
> help answer the questions I asked. Don't get me wrong, I will certainly
> review all the points you made. It's just that I was hoping to get a
> better idea in "layman's terms" whether I had too much or too little
> space and how to properly calculate it.

Then in "layman's terms", start using UNDO tablespaces and you won't have to worry about sizing the rollback segments. Oracle will handle this for you. It doesn't get any easier than that. First, create the undo tablespace:

CREATE UNDO TABLESPACE undotbs DATAFILE '/dir/undotbs01.dbf' SIZE 1000M AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 1000M MAXSIZE 10000M; Then set up the database to use the UNDO tbs by modifying the following initialization parameters:

UNDO_MANAGEMENT = AUTO
UNDO_TABLESPACE = undotbs
UNDO_RETENTION = 900

Bounce the instance and you're off and running.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net