Re: Understanding Rollback Segment Sizes

From: steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada <steven_nospam_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: 17 Jan 2007 19:26:33 -0800

Mark D Powell wrote:
> Yes, it is time to update the scripts to reflect the Oracle recommended
> use of UNDO tablespaces to manage rollbacks segments automatically.
>
> However I will disagree with Joel about using optimal on manually
> managed rollback segments. If you need to manage RBS segments manually
> you more than likely only need a few of them and the segments need to
> be large. So that you do not have to manually resize the segments so
> that no segment fails to expand while another is holding large amounts
> of unneeded space use the optimal setting. Just be sure to set it
> large so that segments rarely shrink.
>
> -- Mark D Powell --

Thanks Mark,

As I replied to Joel, I'll check into Undo tablespaces a bit more.

Our specialty is not in the Oracle area, so we rely on RDBMS concepts that we do know, and suggestions we get from our Oracle reps and trainers. Our company uses Informix for 95% of our RDBMS clients, with the remaining 5% on Oracle.

We have never had any problems with the Oracle rollback segments we currently use so maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but looking at these scripts, you can just tell there is incorrect stuff in there. And when I set up a new system, I tend to want to improve it rather than just migrating the problems or wasted space from one server to the next.

Thx again

Steve Received on Wed Jan 17 2007 - 21:26:33 CST