Re: DDL commands

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2007 16:54:53 -0800

Rajesh Kapur wrote:
> I am new to Oracle 10g. I am looking for command(s) that will generate the
> DDL from a database that I can use to create a new (empty) database. I need
> something similar to the dbschema command of informix that generates the
> create statements for the database. I have done some reading on exp/imp and
> data pump, but that doesn't seem to be the answer... Thanks!

You can extract the necessary information and format it into valid DDL statements using queries against the rdbms dictionary and dynamic performance views. Some utility scripts to do this have been posted from time to time and you might be able to locate one via an Internet search though I would just write my own create database script based on what I wanted. The DBA Administration manual has a chapter devoted to the subject of building a database.

The export file created by an exp full=y can also be used to create tablespaces and populate them with objects either with or without loading the data.

How do I find information about a database object: table, index, constraint, view, etc... in Oracle ?
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/object_info.html

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jan 17 2007 - 18:54:53 CST