Re: Advantages of Oracle on Windows over Unix

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:11:23 GMT

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:02:48 -0800, gazzag wrote:

> Inspired by this thread here,
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_frm/thread/b2d4a2766d1d5580/6c1b5c532b044c34?hl=en#6c1b5c532b044c34,
> and for a bit of fun, would anyone care to extol the virtues of Oracle
> on Windows over it running on a *nix platform? >;)
>
> -g

Based on my personal experience, I'd say there are absolutely no advantages of running Oracle on WIndows over Oracle on Linux. And absolutely none the other way 'round either.

However, in the hands of a qualified Windows sysadmin who has no Linux training, Oracle certainly seems to be more reliable and faster.

And in the hands of a qualified Linux sysadmin who has little more than user-level experience in Windows, Oracle on Linux is phenomenaly more reliable and faster than Oracle on Windows.

By now you may sense a pattern ... it's not what you got, it's how you use it!

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!