Re: incremental import/export

From: John K. Hinsdale <hin_at_alma.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2007 09:45:53 -0800

Mark D Powell wrote:

> EXP-00041: INCTYPE parameter is obsolete
> Cause: Export encountered the INCTYPE parameter when parsing Export
> options. Incremental Exports are no longer supported.
> Action: Consult the Oracle Backup and Recovery guide. Export will
> attempt to continue.
>
> I would advise the customer that the feature was never useful on an
> active system since if even one row in a table changed the entire table
> was exported is no longer supported, even if the feature still works on
> your
> version/platform, suggest a different export backup strategy that can
> be supported going forward.

... "never useful" is a good word. For me the fact that INCTYPE does not allow the use of CONSISTENT=Y is also a show-stopper. I find CONSISTENT=Y to be essential, for maintaining consistency w/ exported sequences and the data in tables populated by values from those sequences. Anything that disallows using it would be a non-starter.

John Hinsdale Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 11:45:53 CST