Re: materlized views from complex queries and refresh

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2007 08:47:23 -0800

DA,

    I replied to the last response to my question. I also asked the quetion because I was hoping to find out what others might do in this same situation. Let me rephrase my question since you seem to be to dense to understand my question. I have a very compex SQL query that involves decodes and functions run on various tables to form a table that makes it easier to report off of for our report designers. it also uses outer joins to join two tables. I am not the one who designed the SQL query that creates the current view just the one who has to fix it. 10.1.0.3 would be the correct version. What I am trying to achieve is a materialzed view that would refresh on commit. It seems since i use such a compex query fast refresh is out of the question. Full refresh is where I am confused. What if this query takes 90 minutes to run? DOes this mena the MV would take 90 minutes to refresh?
designers. it
> also uses outer joins to join two tables. I am not the one who
> designed the SQL query that creates the current view just the one who
> has to fix it. 10.1.0.3 would be the correct version. What I am
> trying to achieve is a materialzed view that would refresh on commit.
> It seems since i use such a compex query fast refresh is out of the
> question. Full refresh is where I am confused. What if this query
> takes 90 minutes to run? DOes this mena the MV would take 90 minutes
> to refresh?

MVs do not refresh on SELECT. I don't think there is any correlation between the time to query and the time to refresh. But likely the time to refresh would be longer, not shorter. Finally: could you look up 'top-posting' somewhere and stop behaving rude?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA