Re: Newbie: Accessing different databases from isqlplus

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 Jan 2007 05:21:42 -0800

Jim Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally use MS sql server, but I have attended a beginners course on
> Oracle (10 I think...)
>
> We used a tool caled isqlplus. A web-interface. You can type sql commands
> (or press a button "Load sql" to load a saved sqlcommand). You press "Go"
> and are redirected to a results page. There was parameter-substitution and
> all kind of neat things.
>
> Now my question is, can I access multiple databases with that tool? Without
> having to log in-out everytime.
>
> I have been assigned a task to develop something very similar to isqlplus.
> The supporters today type in almost the same sql-commands over and over each
> day (select users that have not changed password. Or update userX set
> password='abcde') using a dos-based-type interface.

Then you might want to look at using "command level" sqlplus which operates nicely in a dos based environment.

You can use the spool command in sqlplus to send output to build reports from.

It also has the substitution variable capability that you saw isqlplus run with.

> So I am to automate that, by creating a set of template-sql commands they
> can load, change a little, and run.
>
> But sometimes they need to access database A to get a list of departments,
> and then use that list as input for an sql command in database B to select
> users from those departments.
>
> Can this be done using that tool, and without having to put
> username/password into the sql-plaintext files?
>
> In ms-sqlserver, I use SqlQueryAnalyzer, and it has a "use database"
> command. Is there something similar in Oracle?

The connect command " connect username/password_at_database_alias" ... Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 07:21:42 CST