tnsping is working but connect gives ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out

From: oracle dba <aoracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2007 04:10:25 -0800

hi,

I made new database, one server. On client I did tns entry. Now tnsping <database_name>
is working but when i try to connect to that database, first it took lots of time then it is giving time out error.

ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out.

But when I switch both means make client as server and server as client, it is working.
please tell me what can be the problem here.

Oracle Database : 9.2.0.8
Server OS : Windows XP Received on Sun Jan 14 2007 - 06:10:25 CST