Re: Memory Usage in Oracle

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:35:39 GMT

"jeffchirco_at_gmail.com" <jeffchirco_at_gmail.com> wrote in news:1168633514.742513.199950_at_a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Of those 400 connections 20 of them are active at one time.  And 18 of
> those oracle's own connections.   So really only 2 connections are
> active at one time.
>

> EscVector wrote:

>> jeffchirco_at_gmail.com wrote:
>> > Dedicated server and we have about 400 connections to the database.

>> That's a lot of connections. I'd pool on the app side. Stay away
>> from MTS if possible. Can have Queue issues for long running
>> queries. If you've set sga limits, they won't increase. Cursors can
>> use ad-hoc memory. PGA uses memory but releases when done. Try
>> reading this: Oracle Database 10g Automated SGA Memory Tuning
>> Doc ID: Note:257643.1
>>
>> Are you having a performance issue? You are not swapping. Is the
>> system slow. Are end users complaining? If not, start reading so
>> that when they do, you'll be ready.

FWIW - in my previous postion I support 1500+ concurrent session into a Sun box. Solaris behaved the exact same way as you described AIX. Free memory starts at some "high" value & the plummets towards zero after an Oracle restart. When more RAM was added to the box, the OS Free Memory stablized at about the same value as before. This is normal & expected behavior. Received on Sat Jan 13 2007 - 15:35:39 CST