Re: ORA-01031 Hell...

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2007 17:48:41 -0800

B14 wrote:

> > Valentin Minzatu wrote:
> > > Is your ORACLE_SID set to TEST?
> >
> > I think that this will answer your question:
> >
> > OraTEST >echo $ORACLE_SID
> > TEST
> > OraTEST >echo $ORACLE_HOME
> > /u02/oracle/testdb/8.1.7
> > OraTEST >
> >
> > I looked at that, and a few other things as well. But alas no joy, I
> > ran through the metalink guide to resolving connect "/ as sysdba" but
> > that didn't get me anywhere....
> >
> > thanks again for the posts though,
> >
> > Marky Boy...
>
> I found that unsetting the $TWO_TASK variable sorted this:
>
> You have new mail.
> root_at_sundevlunx003#su - oratest
> Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch October 2001
>

> OraTEST >echo $TWO_TEST
>
> OraTEST >echo $TWO_TASK
> TEST
> OraTEST >unset TWO_TASK
> OraTEST >echo $TWO_TASK
>
> OraTEST >sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Jan 11 05:36:34 2007
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> conn / as sysdba
> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> exit
> Disconnected
> OraTEST >sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Jan 11 05:36:50 2007
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to an idle instance.
>
> SQL> exit
> Disconnected
>
> Not sure why... I found this out from metalink note: Note:69642.1

The TWO_TASK environment variable is meant for attaching to remote databases. It needs to translate the setting from an alias in the tnsnames.ora and then attach (or you can set the variable to directly go where you want). Since remote 8i databases have special requirements for attaching as sysdba, you get privilege violations. This is an Oracle7 sort of thing (actually, sql*net V2), so you find it in the O7 docs like
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A55980_01.pdf and sometimes later http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A70109_01.pdf . But you have to beware the docs, since there are other things also called two task. But you did read your installation guide before doing this, right? (I think they may have left out the part about unsetting this in the 8i install guide.)

Do you know why it was set?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "A month after Nolen died in March 1937 at age 67,
the San Diego Planning Commission voted to rename Harbor Drive, one of