Stupid timing question

From: Richard <blueghost73_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2007 15:22:41 -0800

Hopefully, this is an easy one. Does Oracle use the system date and time from the operating system? Or does it keep track of what day/time it is on its own?

We were just discussing this in the office today, because we're planning for the changes in Daylight Savings Time in the United States this year. It's going to start a month earlier and end a month later than it used to. Microsoft is apparently putting out patches for Windows so the OS will know to adjust the time by an hour on the right days, and we're trying to determine if our SQL and Oracle databases are going to be affected at all. We're dealing with Oracle on both Windows and Unix servers.

--Richard Received on Thu Jan 11 2007 - 17:22:41 CST