Re: Newbie RMAN question: recovery catalogue

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN0SP4M_at_gmail.com.invalid>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:36:55 +0100

Ian Chard wrote:
> On 11/01/07 14:56, Jerome Vitalis wrote:

>> An spfile is not required in your environment but it can be very
>> convenient because you can restore it from the controlfile autobackup.
>>
>> You can do without it, but in case of disaster, you would have to
>> recreate the pfile manually (or restore it without RMAN if it is
>> included in your server backups.)

> Ahh I see, I didn't realise that the SPFILE was stored in the control
> file, I thought it was just a binary blob stored separately.
>
> Many thanks
> - Ian

In fact it is not stored in the controlfile, it's a separate file, but it is included in the controlfile autobackup. This backup is called "controlfile autobackup" but it should be called "controfile & spfile autobackup" for databases that use a spfile.

Jerome Received on Thu Jan 11 2007 - 09:36:55 CST