Re: Newbie RMAN question: recovery catalogue

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanN0SP4M_at_gmail.com.invalid>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:56:21 +0100

Ian Chard wrote:
> On 11/01/07 11:37, gazzag wrote:

>> Ian Chard wrote:
>>> On 10/01/07 11:10, sybrandb wrote:
>>> Can I ask why an SPFILE is required?
>>>
>>> - Ian
>> It's the parameter file used at database startup.  Amongst other
>> things, it points to your control files.  You won't be able to startup
>> your database without it.

> I understand that, but is there a reason why, in the environment I
> described, I couldn't use a PFILE rather than an SPFILE?

An spfile is not required in your environment but it can be very convenient because you can restore it from the controlfile autobackup.

You can do without it, but in case of disaster, you would have to recreate the pfile manually (or restore it without RMAN if it is included in your server backups.) Received on Thu Jan 11 2007 - 08:56:21 CST