Re: How to Insert a Column between existing columns?

From: What's in a namespace <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:55:17 +0100

<epokopac_at_excite.com> schreef in bericht news:1168443205.618149.257510_at_o58g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> Repeat (100 times) what Michel has stated:
>
> *** Column order is meaningless in a relational model ***
>
> Column order "may" have been important in the "COBOL" days, but it's a
> moot point for RDBMSs. New columns are put at the end of a table
> because when added they are NULL (by default). If you have a NULL
> column in the middle of a row, there is a length indicator for the NULL
> column. If the NULL column is at the end of the row there is no length
> indicator. Not a major concern, but there is some wasted space having
> null columns in the middle of a row.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eugene Pokopac (Oracle DBA - GSFA - Tucker, GA)

And: inserts, updates with unnamed columns will not work when column order changes. I know, I know, it's "not done" but seen many times!

Shakespeare Received on Wed Jan 10 2007 - 14:55:17 CST