Re: Downloading Critical Patch Updates without a Metalink account

From: Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:33:22 +0000

On 8 Jan 2007 06:42:01 -0800, "raesene" <raesene_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>One other thing I did notice from reading the license agreement.
>
>"We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use
>the programs for: (a) purposes of developing, prototyping and running
>your applications for your own internal data processing operations;"

 Ah, that's the Oracle XE license, which does allow full production use (within its CPU, RAM and data limits).

 However, there aren't any patches for it, not even Critical Patch Updates, which has been the subject of some discussion recently.

 e.g. http://www.petefinnigan.com/weblog/archives/00000973.htm

 XE is therefore open to many critical vulnerabilities. Search for "Hacking and Hardening Oracle Express Edition" for examples.

 The other posters probably think you have the development license of the "full" database, which has stricter license terms, such as:

"We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a single prototype of your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle reseller, to obtain the appropriate license."

"You may not:
- use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development of a single prototype of your application; - use the application you develop with the programs for any internal data processing or commercial or production purposes without securing an appropriate license from us;
- continue to develop your application after you have used it for any internal data processing, commercial or production purpose without securing an appropriate license from us, or an Oracle reseller;"

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool