Re: avg_row_len=0 non-stale tables and partitions seen as stale

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:32:25 GMT

bdurrettccci_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> This is probably just a bug but I thought I'd run it by you.
>
> Have you ever seen avg_row_len come out 0 from a table with a bunch of
> data in it? The real row length is about 300.

Sure. Normally, this happens when stats have been calculated on an empty table and then Oracle did not recognize that this was stale. Recalc stats on the table and see if the result is still zero.

> Also, Oracle's
> automatic stats job (we are on 10.1.0.4) keeps gathering stats on this
> table over and over again every night even though it isn't stale. I.e.
> if you do a list stale it doesn't show up that way.

Consider applying a recent patchset. There were a number of bugs in 10.1 dealing with gathering stale stats which (at least for me) seem to have been fixed in 10.2.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net