Re: Oracle datebase Recovery

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2007 07:20:08 -0800

anlommel_at_gmx.net wrote:
> I have a oracle database on a windows server system.
> What happens when I backup the whole file system.
> Can I restore the datadase system ?

You'd be lucky if you can restore the machine like that.

You can backup the entire file system using a non-database aware backup tool if the database is fully shut down when you make the backup.

Look into Archive Mode for what hot backups mean.

Also, if you are using netbackup or other backup tool, you will need a license to backup an oracle database via the gui.

Database file are alive when the database is up. You either have to shut the database down or use archive mode and a tool that uses RMAN to backup them up.

You could go old school and use alter tablespace backup mode and then back up the datafiles, but you can't back up control files or redo logs this way. You would have to alter database backup controlfile or backup controlfile to trace and do an incomplete recovery because the redo logs would be lost. Received on Mon Jan 08 2007 - 09:20:08 CST