Re: Backup from 64 bit and restore to 32 bit

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2007 06:53:14 -0800

EscVector wrote:
> rinaldof_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We have an oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 64 bit server
> > and another oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 32 bit
> > server. The databases are identical, except from the fact that the 32
> > bit version is used as a test server, so the data is different.
> >
> > We need to make the test server really identical to the production
> > server. How can we export the data/structures from the 64 bit database
> > to the 32 bit database? I have read some articles about backup policies
> > and it seems that it is necessary to downgrade the 64 bit database to
> > 32 bit. Is it the only way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rinaldo Ferreira Junior
>
> Am I missing something? My tea pot almost caught fire and I inhaled
> some nasty fumes, so correct me if I'm wrong. Do not downgrade
> anything? I'm on 64bit aix and I transport to my 32 bit xp pro laptop
> all the time. Is there an issue with doing this on windows from 64 win
> to 32 win?
>
> I think this is beyond simple, but you need to use Transportable
> Tablespace Via RMAN.
> A good example is in the RMAN docs. Read backup and recovery..... and
> then read advanced backup and recover.
>
> Here's a Mike Ault example:
> http://www.dbazine.com/olc/olc-articles/ault5
>
> Oracle Info:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/10gdba/week16_10gdba.html
>
> Oracle Doc:
> http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#sthref1379

No matter what you do, your xplans plans will differ based on this setup. Make no assumptions as to the linear performance on the 64 bit system. Even if you were using the same OS on each system, this would still be the case. The simple things will appear or be the same on small scale, but larger, more complex queries will start to vary. This is just something to watch for, so do not be surprised if 32 bit out
performs 64 sometimes.... Received on Mon Jan 08 2007 - 08:53:14 CST