Difference between OracleDataSource and OracleXADataSource

From: brian <kaiplusuwe_at_googlemail.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2007 05:43:29 -0800

Hi all,

we're using OC4J 10.1.2 and 10.1.3 and playing around with these two datasource implementations. To be honest, I just don't fully understand the point: on the one hand XA datasources allow for distributed transactions over multiple disjunctive databases (resources) but on the other hand the standard OracleDataSource also seems to provide 2PC as long as the final resource, i.e., the DBMS, is the same. So, is there any motivation for using OracleXADataSource in a homogeneous environment (1 Oracle DB 10g, multiple OC4J instances)?

I'd very much appreciate an answer, since documentation and groups have not provided one yet!

Cheers,
Brian Received on Mon Jan 08 2007 - 07:43:29 CST