Re: Downloading Critical Patch Updates without a Metalink account

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 Jan 2007 05:35:53 -0800

raesene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction of where I can
> download Security Patches for Oracle database software (9i and 10g)
> without having a Metalink account.
>
> I've downloaded the free versions of the sofware from
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/htdocs/102xelinsoft.html
> and
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/winsoft.html
> but I can't find a location to download the security patches for either
> product.

The whole reason that oracle sells support contracts is for maintenance and so that you can keep the oracle software patched and secure. Oracle software is ( "for the most part" ) not open source.

You can not and are not allowed to download oracle patches ( through metalink ) without having a valid support contract. Anyone that provides oracle patches and/or patchsets to anyone without a valid support contract is in legal jeopardy.

Once you have valid support contract you can get a metalink account and proceed. If your organization has a valid support contract but you don't have metalink access you have 3 choices:

  1. get the people in your organization to get access for you
  2. get the people in your organization to provide the patches/patchsets for you
  3. contact oracle to determine the name and contact information for the people in your organization that control and administer the metalink access for you