Re: Backup from 64 bit and restore to 32 bit

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 01:14:17 +0100

rinaldof_at_gmail.com schreef:
> Hi.
>
> We have an oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 64 bit server
> and another oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 32 bit
> server. The databases are identical, except from the fact that the 32
> bit version is used as a test server, so the data is different.
>
> We need to make the test server really identical to the production
> server. How can we export the data/structures from the 64 bit database
> to the 32 bit database? I have read some articles about backup policies
> and it seems that it is necessary to downgrade the 64 bit database to
> 32 bit. Is it the only way?
>
> Thanks,
> Rinaldo Ferreira Junior

The Import/Export utilities are -and have been- platform INdependent, so using those is a working option.
The version 10G (which you carefully avoid to mention) is important here, as 10G Release 2 is capable of transporting tablespaces cross-platform, even if endianess is different. So using transportable tablespaces is probably an option if you're on 10G Rel2.

As I doubt endianess changes between MS releases, I think any scenario would work, but that would be fairly easy for you to test, now wouldn't it?

Of course - there is always the option of UPgrading your test environment (which I would do; User/Acceptance testing should be done in an environment, as close to production as possible. Meaning approximately the same amount of data, running archive log, same hardware, same software (versions)).

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...