Re: Backup from 64 bit and restore to 32 bit

From: Eberhard Niendorf <eberhard.niendorf_schrott_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:31:49 +0100

rinaldof_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi.
>
> We have an oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 64 bit server
> and another oracle 10g database running on a Windows 2003 32 bit
> server. The databases are identical, except from the fact that the 32
> bit version is used as a test server, so the data is different.
>
> We need to make the test server really identical to the production
> server. How can we export the data/structures from the 64 bit database
> to the 32 bit database? I have read some articles about backup policies
> and it seems that it is necessary to downgrade the 64 bit database to
> 32 bit. Is it the only way?
>
> Thanks,
> Rinaldo Ferreira Junior

Please look for metalink note 62290.1!

In the past I've successfully accomplished some one-off migrations from 32bit to 64bit as part of the migration from 8i -> 9i, but on Solaris via RMAN-Backups.
I think the endianness is no problem, if both MS$-OS runs on the same hardware architecture (both have the same endianness)), but look for possible quirks in the metalink note.

I'am also the opinion that Your construction (different architectures for test/production) is better as no testsystem but no much more.

Eberhard Niendorf Received on Sun Jan 07 2007 - 05:31:49 CST