Re: Corrupt block

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 00:33:57 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:

> Michael Austin wrote:
>

>>DA Morgan wrote:

>>>The DBMS_REPAIR built-in package has existed since 8.1.5.
>>>
>>>Look over my page on this package in Morgan's Library at
>>>www.psoug.org.
>>>
>>>Specific part of this package to consider using are:
>>>
>>>DBMS_REPAIR.CHECK_OBJECT
>>>DBMS_REPAIR.FIX_CORRUPT_BLOCKS
>>>DBMS_REPAIR.ONLINE_INDEX_CLEAN
>>>DBMS_REPAIR.SKIP_CORRUPT_BLOCKS
>>>
>>>HTH
>>
>>I would say that because he cannot open the database, these will not help very
>>much :)
>>
>>If you are using RMAN you could:
>>
>>$rman target =rman/rman_at_rmanprod
>>RMAN> run {
>> 2> allocate channel ch1 type disk;
>> 3> blockrecover datafile 9 block 13 datafile 2 block 19;
>> 4> }
>>see the docs and
>>
>>http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v4/0103_C.htm
>>
>>From:
>>http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_so_undoc_parms_p2.htm
>>
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>*********THESE ARE HIDDEN PARAMETERS
>># _allow_read_only_corruption - This parameter allows the database to be opened
>>even if it has corruption. This should only be used to export as much data from
>>a corrupted database as is possible before re-creating a database. A database
>>that has been opened in this manner should not be used in a normal manner, as it
>>will not be supported.
>>
>># _corrupt_blocks_on_stuck_recovery - This parameter can sometimes be useful for
>>getting a corrupted database started. However, it probably won't be supported if
>>done without Oracle's blessing. Immediately export the tables needed and rebuild
>>the database if used.
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
>>
>>immediately drop the index and rebuild it.
>>
>>--
>>Michael Austin.
>>Database Consultant
>

> 8.1.7

Oh well... if you call support - don't get too offended by the laughter....

Why are people still using software that has been desupported for years? Do they not know that it is not "if it will fail" it is "when it fails"??? Hope the cost of getting this fixed wasn't more than keeping it up to date...

--
Michael Austin.
Database Consultant