Re: Corrupt block

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:52:07 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> astalavista wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> 8.1.7
>> I had a corrupt block in a datafile in tablespace
>> holding only indexes.
>> The database cannot be opened ...
>> What I have to do ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance ...

> The DBMS_REPAIR built-in package has existed since 8.1.5.
>
> Look over my page on this package in Morgan's Library at
> www.psoug.org.
>
> Specific part of this package to consider using are:
>
> DBMS_REPAIR.CHECK_OBJECT
> DBMS_REPAIR.FIX_CORRUPT_BLOCKS
> DBMS_REPAIR.ONLINE_INDEX_CLEAN
> DBMS_REPAIR.SKIP_CORRUPT_BLOCKS
>
> HTH
I would say that because he cannot open the database, these will not help very much :)

If you are using RMAN you could:

$rman target =rman/rman_at_rmanprod
RMAN> run {

        2> allocate channel ch1 type disk;
        3> blockrecover datafile 9 block 13 datafile 2 block 19;
        4> }

see the docs and

http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v4/0103_C.htm

From:
http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_so_undoc_parms_p2.htm

******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
*********THESE ARE HIDDEN PARAMETERS

# _allow_read_only_corruption - This parameter allows the database to be opened even if it has corruption. This should only be used to export as much data from a corrupted database as is possible before re-creating a database. A database that has been opened in this manner should not be used in a normal manner, as it will not be supported.

# _corrupt_blocks_on_stuck_recovery – This parameter can sometimes be useful for getting a corrupted database started. However, it probably won't be supported if done without Oracle's blessing. Immediately export the tables needed and rebuild the database if used.

******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****
******CONTACT ORACLE SUPPPORT BEFORE USING THESE init.ora parameters!!!*****

immediately drop the index and rebuild it.

--
Michael Austin.
Database Consultant