Re: listener.ora not found.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 08:29:29 +0100

clement rajappa schreef:

> Hi
> The server is a test server and is not on the network.
> i tried tnslsnr status. The reply was:
> TNS 12541:No Listener
>  TNS 12560:protocol adapter error.
> What is surprising is i can connect from Forms6i which is installed on
> the same machine under a different home without any connect string.
> thanks in advance for ur help
> clement
>
> On Jan 4, 4:20 pm, "hpuxrac" <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> clement rajappa wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have oracle 9i database installed on windows xp OS. The issue is i do
>>> not find
>>> listener.ora file in the /network/admin dir. Nor is the listener
>>> service registered
>>> under OS services. But i am able to work perfectly well with sqlplus. I
>>> also have
>>> forms 6i installed on a separate home in the same m/c.
>>> When i connect to the database from forms 6i without connect string it
>>> connects
>>> perfectly fine.
>>> My question is how does the connection take place without listener.ora
>>> and
>>> listener service under OS.
>>> Appreciate your help
>>> regards
>>> clement.I would guess that you are connecting to a different database somewhere
>> else somehow?
>>
>> Open a dos command window and do a "lsnrctl status" command ... what
>> output do you get?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Please - no top posting; people read from the top to the bottom.

Of course, there are scenarios that work without a listener: using the BEQUEATH protocol.
And when local is defined as an environment variable (either using a set local= commonad, or using the registry) you just might have such a setup.
You will probably find local=orcl in your registry.

No need for a listener at all, as long as you stay on the same machine

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...