Re: Manual update / replication on a live database?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2007 15:45:49 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:

I'd second the RMAN hot copy approach or transportable tablespaces as Frank suggested, assuming the hardware is close enough. Doing the tt might be the quickest from the point of view of user downtime.

An additional issue with standby is it can disallow certain operations, like nologging. You get all messed up and have to recreate the standby.

Absolute 24/7 necessarily means expensive - you might want to pursue this even though it means some embarrassing questions.

I've spent a number of years in gummint sites, and often it just requires a bit of creative thinking to fix indelible orders. For example, one place absolutely forbid any new printers for a period of time - but a Xerox copy machine with a printer interface was ok...

Find some old Sgt. Bilko shows for more sage advice on dealing with military procurement.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.comedyorama.com/philsilvers/television-star.htm