Re: EM10g OMS Install Issues securing repository

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:22:52 -0800

Comments in-line.

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> Just wait till the oracle cheerleaders in this forum try to turn this
>>> comment around!
>>>
>>> There seems to be a serious lack of quality assurance involvement
>>> within the oracle development process.  Maybe another way of saying it
>>> is that there are no good checks and balances within the oracle
>>> development and that once something starts rolling downhill lookout
>>> below!
>> Lets compare it to a first effort from the other company referenced in
>> the OP's comment. How about Windows version 1.0? Perhaps you are still
>> working with Word 1.0 or Excel 1.0? Or Access 1.0? Oracle <> Microsoft!
>>
>> The Grid Control was new with 10g and a huge effort.

> That is, mostly, true. It however was a replacement for an existing
> product at least version 2 if not 3. One has to ask why, especially as,
> insert my hobby horse here, SE users could make sensible use of the
> previous version.

Yes it is a replacement and yes the name is sort-of the same (for once the VP of product renaming was kept in the closet) but the product is wholly different. Before we had no Application Server, no J2EE application, no ASM, no AWR, etc.

>> The vast majority of which, AWR, ASH, NoSegment Indexes, DBMS_ADVISOR,
>> DBMS_MONITOR, etc. ... I challenge you to demonstrate are not first-rate
>> efforts.

> I wouldn't count those as the OMS/Grid Control. Grid control for sure
> exposes those features, but I wouldn't say that the repository/oms and
> agent was those features.

I appreciate your point but they were all part of a single effort.

Lets be honest here. ;-) Oracle could do itself a huge favor by raiding the folks at Apple a few miles away in Cupertino and hiring someone that knows how to design a front-end. You want a nightmare? You need only think back as far as Oracle Graphics. I could never drink enough scotch to even raise myself to the level of incompetent with it.

That said ... I am reserving my judgment for the 11g release. By then they will have heard complaints from everyone that can spell "Grid" about the navigation issues. Then if they don't get it better ... I too will join the chorus.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington