Re: What index access path does INDEX_SS yield ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:52:34 -0000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:b96dnZlGYbfNdAHYnZ2dnUVZ8turnZ2d_at_bt.com...

> "Spendius" <spendius_at_muchomail.com> wrote in message
>>> However, thinking further about this piece of trace file,
>>> it looks to me as if Oracle hasn't see your hint at all.
>>> This suggests that there is a syntax error somewhere
>>> in your hint.
>> I don't think so as the optimizer reacts to my hint, it
>> reacts the wrong way but does react anyway: when
>> I remove the hint I get an FTS on TABLE_1.
>>

> True,
>
> I was fooled by the presence of the calculation of
> the full tablescan - which doesn't appear in any of
> my attempts to reproduce the problem when I use
> the hint.

Unless, of course, a syntax error is causing some of your hints to become "invisible", so that the net effect of the "visible" hints forces the optimizer into an execution path that has to do the full tablescan

Do you have any hints AFTER the index_ss() ?

What's the exact list of hints as it appears in your query ?

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com