Re: Remote OS Authentication in Oracle

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_snet.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:02:52 GMT

"Archy" <rachidtamba_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:PSSjh.17118$wZ4.265098_at_weber.videotron.net...
> Hi Niall:
> I gave steps to set Local OS Authentication in Oracle .
> for Remote OS Authentication , we have to use
> Oracle advanced security methods .
> Regards,
>
> Rachid
> Oracle DBA
>
> "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle DBA wrote:
> >> 6) export ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1
> >>
> >> export PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
> >>
> >> export ORACLE_SID=DEV1
> >>
> >> sqlplus /
> >>

> >> Hope this will help.
> >>
> >> Rachid.
> >
> > Apart from the somewhat interesting permission modifications how exactly
> > is this remote os authentication? That is over sqlnet from potentially
> > another machine.
> >
> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > http://www.orawin.info/services

Actually you would only need Advanced security if you did not want to be hacked.
If having someone on a remote machine break in to your database does not bother you,
then seting the correct pair of initialization parameters to true is all that is needed.

Enabling remote_os_authentication would not normally be recommended by Oracle.
For example certain old versions of some MS software allowed you to spoof an ID
(for example "oracle") very easily. Then once in with ops$oracle, well you know the rest. Received on Sun Dec 31 2006 - 16:02:52 CST