Re: sql command to list all databases in the oracle server

From: Martijn <martijnm.bos_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2006 03:04:31 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> dalu.gelu_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
> > in a oracle server?
>
> Oracle IS NOT SQL Server
> Oracle IS NOT Sybase
> Oracle IS NOT Informix
> Oracle IS NOT Ingres
>
> Thus your question has no meaning.
>
> In Oracle a "database" is a set of related physical files sitting on
> disk. It has nothing to do with the use of that word in other products.
>
> The word you are looking for is SCHEMA and the query you are asking for is:
>
> SELECT username, account_status
> FROM dba_users
> ORDER BY 1;

Wouldn't this show more then the "schema-owners". I looked it up in the (oracle 10) documentation : "A schema is a collection of database objects. A schema is owned by a database user and has the same name as that user."

I think the above query will show all users in the database. Probably a lot of them are not schema-owners.

So ... if you are looking for schema's (ofcourse identified by username) you better could use the following query? select distinct username from dba_objects;

anyway ...... everybody have a wonderfull 2007

Best regards,

Martijn Bos