Re: the dread factor and working with multiple vendors

From: <pdxkevinc_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2006 09:44:26 -0800

> On a related note, MY experience is vendors of so-called 'database
> neutral apps' *invariably* will blame either the third party
> maintaining the database (us, usually) or Oracle.

The topic on my blog was about platform software and deployment options, not applications. I know how troublesome dealing with COTS applications can be. In my view, the applications->database side is the part that needs the tightest integration. The lower-half stuff (e.g., datafile storage) does not/should not need to be specialized. You can toil with mundane topics like ASM/RAW/NAS/CFS and never get the payback you get if you manage to get CBO to work correctly. Received on Fri Dec 29 2006 - 11:44:26 CST