Re: the dread factor and working with multiple vendors

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:29:31 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> hpuxrac wrote:
>>> Do you want to be threatened by people who on this forum try to
>>> repeatedly assert that only having 1 vendor to work with is better than
>>> multiple vendors?
>>>
>>> You might want to read this recent post
>>>
>>> http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/2006/12/28/the-dread-factor-multi-vendor-support-unbreakable-linux/
>> Threatened?
>> Perhaps that's why so many in Texas have guns.
>> Fear of usenet posters with a different opinion.
>> Explains almost everything. ;-)

> My experience has been that it's usually people with limited experience
> who promote such opinions. People who have relevant enterprise
> experience with multiple vendor configurations which almost invariable
> occur in companies of more than marginal size learn how to navigate.
>
> When people who repeatedly assert the "one stop shopping" approach are
> asked to support their assertions with detailed experiences in relevant
> situations it's usually silence that is returned. That or some non
> relevant comment as above.

Oh come now you specifically said: "Do you want to be threatened by people who on this forum...." I appreciate the spin doctoring, nice job, but you might just consider the possibility that there are some of us out here with decades of real-world experience at marginal companies such as AT&T, the Boeing Company, Dow Jones, and Washington Mutual Bank, that just don't happen to agree with you on this particular subject.

Why is it so hard to accept, and respect, opinions that disagree with yours? One of those "all hat" things?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington