Re: Agent 10.2.0.2 patchset install on AIX

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2006 05:55:06 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> What did you do that you think stopped the agent?
> >>
> >> My guess is you stopped some other agent in some other directory based
> >> on your path.
> >>
> >> cd $OMA_HOME/bin -- go to the home directory
> >> pwd -- verify you are really there
> >> ./emctl stop agent
> >> ./emctl status agent
> >>
> >> On my list of egregious Oracle design errors has been that they put
> >> emctl into every home directory they could spell. ;-)
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> >> www.psoug.org
> >
> > Good point about the 'extra' emctl files laying around. But even when
> > insureing against that problem as you detailed, the results were the
> > same.

> What's the same?

  1. Just set ORACLE_HOME and issue 'emctl stop agent' results in "Error writing to file '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so ..."
  2. set home, cd to home, issue "./emctl stop agent" results in "Error writing to file '/db01/app/oracle/product/agent10g/oui/lib/aix/liboraInstaller.so ..."

> Two other suggestions if what has been recommended, so far, doesn't work.
>

> 1a. ps -ef | grep libora
> 1b. kill -9

"ps -ef | grep libora" returns nothing but the grep process itself. Tried this both before firing up runInstaller and in a separate session while the OUI was waiting on me to respond to the error message.

While driving to the office this morning I had a "DOH!" moment when I realized that I could very well have been picking up a previously installed version. So after setting ORACLE_HOME appropriately and navigating to the Disk1 directory of the patchset, I issued 'which runInstaller'. It reported the one in the current directory. Just for grins, I tried specifying it explicitly anyway, with '$> ./runInstaller'. Same result as all previous efforts.

I'll try to get the SA to issue an 'slibclean'. Also, will add 'set -x' to the runInstaller script and examine exactly what's getting set in the environment and what decisions are being made.