Re: Puzzles on SQL/Oracle

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:53:43 +0000

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

> > This is the bit where you failed to implement netiquette. *_YOU_*
> > quoted 170 lines to add two words.

> Then I apologize.

> Though as a matter of integrity I think will find that while I do
> actively ask people to bottom post and not spam ... you'll likely
> not find me getting on anyone's case about snipping.

Indeed. But then, you probably have super-wider bandwidth supplied by the University of Washington. Not everyone does. Not getting on people's case about snipping is a cop-out - either you practice netiquette or you don't - it's like manners, it's an ensemble, a whole. You are not a polite person if you are only polite to little old ladies and very rude to everyone else.

> Because quite frankly I don't like the snipping. Often people remove
> the previous parts of the thread that make it comprehensible. I've
> been criticized far more often for not remembering some earlier part
> of a thread, long since removed, than for a lack of snipping.

That's where judgement comes in. It is subjective, in much the same way spam is, as witnessed by numerous debates here. However, there are rules of thumb, mine would be to add at least 30% of the material quoted or thereabouts (*_NOT_* case in stone, BTW).

> So while you have my sincere apology you'll not, I hope, find any hypocrisy.

Apology accepted, at least by me. I'm not saying never quote long, always snip to the bone &c., I'm just asking that people excersise judgement and restraint instead of lazily top-posting or not snipping.

Two words - "DIAL-UP".

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 10.2.0.1 (Express Edition)
Interbase 6.0.2.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.