switching to 'direct path read' should help prevent thrashing buffer cache ?

From: <p.santos000_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 14:21:39 -0800

Folks,
  Our environment is neither an OLTP nor a DSS system. We have transactions that cross boundaries.

  Particularly we have these one of jobs that many of our customers run at any time during the
  day in which they chose to clear a table column.   Most clients clear anywhere from 1 million rows to 11 million rows per job.

 The pseudo-code and SQL looks like this:

   while SQL%ROWCOUNT < 500,000
  do

      UPDATE DEMO_<CLIENT_ID>
              set col1= null,
                     col2= null,
                     col3= null
      WHERE ( col1 is not null OR
                    col2 is not null OR
                     col3 is not null ) AND ROWNUM <= 500,000;
     commit;

   done.

  We use a ROWNUM limit in order to prevent row blocking for other processes that
  might be processing single row dml against the table ..

  We have increased the efficiency of these processes .. making IO faster and now customers
  are just doing it more often. ... this obviously thrashes my buffer cache.

 Nearly all updates spend most of their time waiting on 'db file scattered read'.
 We have db_file_multiblock_read_count = 128.

 Should also mention that this process connects via a shared/mts connection... although
 we can change that if needed.

I'm thinking about having just this process run in parallel in order to bypass the buffer cache because, I don't believe this process benefits from caching and it causes blocks to age out faster for other clients that are doing other things .. and do benefit from caching.

 My thought is that if I switch this to a dedicated connection and I add a PARALLEL hint
 ( even if it's just 2 parallel servers per job), the job will complete faster, it will prevent my cache from being thrashed only at the cost of more pga memory , and a little bit more io.

I'm looking for the cons in doing something like this? Received on Wed Dec 20 2006 - 16:21:39 CST