Re: Musings on 'new' OFA standard

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:09:51 -0800

EdStevens wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> EdStevens wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>  >

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> That's something else that was buzzing around the periphery of my
>>> thinking when I started this discussion.  We finally got the
>>> opportunity to do a fresh install of Grid on a box dedicated to that,
>>> and have been struggling with this 10.1 vs. 10.2 install/upgrade/patch.
>>>  (The other oracle guy here has been in the driver's seat on this
>>> particular project.)  Would you mind expanding a bit on that, either
>>> here or a pointer do some doc you have on your PSOUG site or elsewhere?
>> Glad to expand on it either on-line or off. But I'm not sure what it is
>> you would like expanded (or expounded <g>).
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

> Crystal ball out for repair? <vbg>
>
> I confess I'm on a bit of a fishing expedition with that question. I
> know that installs that purported to be one version installed something
> else ... like a 10.2 OEM createing a 10.1 repository database. On an
> earlier installation we had an agent that identified itself as
> 10.1.something -- I forgot the exact version -- and when we tried to
> locate the media to do another installation Oracle claimed that exact
> version didn't exist.

I have no way of knowing for sure what has happened. But likely a project gets underway with the currently supported version and the hope that later it will be upgraded to a newer version. There is a delay ... the production release is in the earlier version ... and no one notifies, or wants to rework, the user interface code.