Re: Veritas and 10gR2

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:11:25 -0600

On 2006-12-19, EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Anyone know when Veritas's clusterware software is going to be
>> certified with 10gR2? I believe Vertias says they support that
>> configuration but Oracle hasn't certified it yet.
>>
>> tnx.
>
> If you are asking about Veritas, read this before you proceed:
>
> http://www.miracleas.dk/WritingsFromMogens/YouProbablyDontNeedRACUSVersion.pdf

        Sun's smallish big box has 12 cpus with 24 cores. A 4 node cluster with x86 pizzaboxes will have 8 cups with 16 cores. Now that Sun is more expensive but it can also use remarkably cheaper storage. Even dirtcheap generica will do. SCSI is a very well established technology. OTOH, a cheap SAN will likely be a disaster. So your cheap cluster ends up requiring a shared storage solution that's more expensive than the server hardware by far.

        Then there are the RAC licenses & annual support for those RAC licenses.

        The T2000 also seems pretty respectable. I know a shop that moved from x86 to T2000 and are tickled pink with the performance boost. Then there are the beefy opteron based Suns.

        In general, Sun's new servers seem to be doing well enough in terms of Oracle performance that Sun might manage to fight back some of the marketshare loss from Linux.

        It's interesting to see small shops and startups dump x86 for Sparc.

--
	Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's         |||
	popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date       / | \

                http://www.usenet.com