Re: log file sync , log file parallel write

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 20 Dec 2006 07:12:48 -0800

db_man wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Sybrand , spend some time in google to find what top-posting mean ,
> sorry to be honest i
> havent heard the term till you told to me.
> Changing the nick name is a bad idea , i admit. Anyway dont want to
> do top-posting , but dont know how to stop it .
>
> Returning to the statspack output :
>
> Top 5 Timed Events
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> % Total
> Event Waits Time (s)
> Ela Time
> -------------------------------------------- ------------ -----------
> --------
> log file sync 483,596 194,940
> 64.17
> latch free 656,366 46,963
> 15.46
> db file sequential read 232,327 31,051
> 10.22
> CPU time 20,846
> 6.86
> log file parallel write 201,538 2,810
> .93
>

> Here the short story is to change the redo log location on a non-raid5
> location or not.
> One of the dba's who i trust told to me that , providing with the low
> log file parallel write average wait time
> the main problem is not the redo log writing but huge number of
> commits.
>
> I want to be sure , and if writing through the redo log is problem , i
> must proof it.
>
> After reading more documents , i see lots of statistics , values to
> compare , will be appreciated if you comment . I am not sure whether
> this type of digging values is the right way to go.
>

> Load Profile
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per
> Transaction
> --------------- ---------------
> Redo size: 370,594.95
> 2,966.21
> Logical reads: 39,925.48
> 319.56
> Block changes: 2,447.17
> 19.59
> Physical reads: 67.83
> 0.54
> Physical writes: 433.47
> 3.47
> User calls: 880.52
> 7.05
> Parses: 275.49
> 2.21
> Hard parses: 1.92
> 0.02
> Sorts: 553.98
> 4.43
> Logons: 0.29
> 0.00
> Executes: 5,303.67
> 42.45
> Transactions: 124.94
>
> Statistic Total per Second
> per Trans
> user commits 446,365 124.1
> 1.0
> user rollbacks 3,040 0.9
> [...]

Yes your average time for the log file sync does seem high. You would hope to see that in the 2 to 15 msec range. RAID 5 setup may be somewhat implicated in your problem but a larger problem maybe the application behavior. Is your application doing a commit for every row updated?

I suggest you go to Tom Kyte's site http://asktom.oracle.com and so some searches on things like "log file sync" and/or "commit strategy" etc.

Look for an item "what is redo log sync". Received on Wed Dec 20 2006 - 09:12:48 CST